Department of Professional Studies
Bachelor of Professional Studies
Professional Studies with specialty/concentrations in:
The Bachelor of Professional Studies (BPS) is an online Accelerated Degree Program (ADP) offering a flexible degree completion path addressing the unique needs of particular target groups. The accelerated delivery format is designed to ease the financial, time, and geographic constraints adults face in completing a baccalaureate program. Students complete the necessary hours for the degree within a convenient yet directed scheduling format under the guidance of advisors who understand the unique needs of the adult learner. The primary target groups include:
- Students graduating from community colleges
- Adults pursuing full-time careers or raising families
- Degree “stop-outs” who began but never completed a bachelor’s degree
- Individuals who have accumulated hours that cannot be applied toward a specific major.
The curriculum is designed to enhance workplace skills such as planning, organizational behavior, ethics, needs assessment, problem solving, communications, human resources, and technology applications.
Learning Objectives for Professional Studies Degree
- Communication: Student will demonstrate competency in public presentation and written communication skills.
- Research: Student will apply empirical research to recommend relevant strategies for solving problems.
- Leadership/Critical Thinking: Student will assume a leadership role in identifying and addressing issues in a real-world environment.
- Project Management: Student will create, plan, and implement relevant strategies needed to develop a business proposal.
Students select one of the following concentration areas: agriculture business, applied leadership, child development, criminal justice, industrial/organizational psychology, interdisciplinary studies, public relations, or workforce technology. All bachelor’s degrees at Arkansas Tech University require 35 hours of general education coursework and a minimum of 40 hours of upper division courses.
Program of Study (BPS)
General Education coursework or enrollment in courses as needed:35 hours
PS 3003 Project Design
PS 3013 Professional Studies Seminar
PS 3023 Professional Communications
PS 3133 Applied Principles of Personnel Management
PS 3143 Applied Professional Research
PS 4003 Capstone Project
Six hours of Professional Studies electives from the following list of courses:
PS 4143 Nonprofit Governance
PS 4243 Planning for Adult Learners
PS 4343 Community Development
PS 4443 Professional Leadership
PS 4543 Workplace Supervision
PS 4643 Occupational Globalization and Diversity
*Students enrolled in the Applied Leadership concentration must take PS 4543 and PS 4643 in order to meet the six (6) hours of electives requirement.
Selected Concentration: 18 hours
Agriculture Business (all courses not available online)
Balance of electives: Varies
Hours needed to meet 40-hour upper division requirement
or balance of 120 hours
Total : 120 hours
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
A Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) process is available that could award up to 12 hours of upper-division credit for relevant work experience, professional development, or military training through a portfolio course. The course requires documentation to determine the number of credit hours awarded.
Dr. Jeff Aulgur, Head
715 North El Paso Ave
For more information, please visit www.atu.edu/etech/online-prostudies.php